Update 10 June 2021: The system item for EWSS has been updated to allow for the extension.
Today’s blog post will look at the recently announced extension of the Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme (EWSS), to 31 December 2021.
As discussed in previous blog posts, the EWSS is the follow-on program from the previously implemented Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme (TWSS). It represents a substantial and key part of the Government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic with the aim of supporting businesses, encouraging employment and helping to maintain the link between employers and employees.
The scheme represents an important bridge between the Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) and regular employment, which is the ultimate goal.
It has recently been announced that the Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme will be extended beyond 30 June 2021, until 31 December 2021.
It should be noted that:
- Current enhanced payment rates will be maintained for Quarter 3 (July, August, September) at current turnover thresholds.
- In order to benefit more firms, the time period for assessment will be broadened from the current 6 month period of assessment to a full 12 month period. This will ensure businesses and their workers are supported through the earlier part of the recovery and in recognition of the value of workers maintaining their links to the labour market.
- Two important questions have come up recently which have not been resolved, but have been noted and will be considered during the remainder of 2021:
- whether an employer contribution to employee benefits in terms of the scheme will be required; and
- the issue of the appropriate calibration of rates of subsidy for the final quarter of the year.
The EWSS is seen as a very important part of the re-opening process and it is hoped that it will align incentives with the need for businesses to attract staff and that people benefit from a return to employment.
Our team is already working on the necessary updates to the system which will allow you to apply the EWSS system item to your employees for payslips beyond June 2021 and up to the new end date.
If you have any questions on how the information above relates to SimplePay, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
Keep well and stay safe.