Last week, we announced the release of Phase 1 of our major PAYE Modernisation changes – uploading of ROS Authorisation Certificates, which you can read about here.
As promised, we’re pleased to inform you that today we’ve released Phase 2: bulk retrieval of employee RPNs. As with the ROS Certificates, this is an important step in ensuring you’re ready to process payroll in 2019. This short and handy guide will take you through the steps of bulk RPN retrieval.
PAYE Modernisation Guide – Release 2
As part of this release, SimplePay will automatically retrieve RPNs once for the 2019 tax year for all employees that have a PPSN but no RPN. This functionality will soon be expanded to provide daily automated updates.
As always, if you have any queries or concerns around this new functionality and process, please feel free to contact our friendly support team who will gladly assist.
A few weeks ago we sent out an email briefly detailing the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which comes into force today (25 may 2018), as well as the steps being taken by SimplePay to ensure complete and timely compliance.
Privacy and security of clients’ data has always been our top priority so the system was already built based on the concept of “privacy by design”, as required by GDPR. This means we were largely compliant long before GDPR came into being. We have therefore only had to make minor tweaks to our already stringent internal and external privacy and security policies.
With that in mind, we’d like to give you a brief update on what we’ve been working on recently to meet our obligations as a Processor under the GDPR:
- Conducted a gap analysis on existing policies as well as any updates required to these policies highlighted in the gap analysis
- Designed and documented processes for data subject requests
- Appointed an EU Representative as required by Article 27
- Reviewed all third party processors for compliance
- Reviewed all employment contracts for GDPR compliance
- Implemented GDPR readiness training for all staff
- Reviewed and updated processes and policies for incidents and data breaches
More detailed information about GDPR, and how it affects your SimplePay data, can be found on our GDPR page. Details of the process for requests by data subjects are also available on this page.
As always, we are more than happy to answer any queries or concerns you may have so please get in touch.
We’ve listened to your suggestions and are thrilled to launch our long-awaited Accounting Splits feature.
Now you can create groups of employees (known as Accounting Splits) based on your expense-tracking needs, and split payroll items according to how you wish to account for the various expenses associated with each specific group e.g. Directors. The Accounting Splits feature gives you more insight into your payroll expenses, promising to save you time and increase your efficiency.
The impact of the Accounting Split can be seen in the Accounting Info report, which shows the effect of the split across the various expense and liability amounts for the payment run – useful for reporting purposes.
In the past, our accounting reports only reflected a single total per payroll item making it difficult to identify expenses for specific employee groups e.g. Directors.
This new functionality also lets you map the payroll items for a particular Accounting Split, according to your company’s structure and needs, before posting the information directly to your journal in your accounting system.
If I’m a Xero user, how do Accounting Splits differ from tracking categories?
- Tracking categories let you see how different areas of your business are performing and can be used to keep track of cost codes – our accounting report will reflect payroll items lumped under one figure, but Xero will allow you to split accounts by tracking category.
- In contrast, Accounting Splits will split figures on our accounting report as per the groups you created. When posting to Xero, you will be given the option to post to different accounts, based on the group.
More information about setting up Accounting Splits can be found on our help site.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to email us at [email protected] to assist you.
The SimplePay Team