SimplePay automatically calculates and applies a pro-rate percentage to the Basic Salary of employees if they do not work for a full pay period i.e. the are appointed after the start of a pay period or terminated before the end of a pay period. We’ve received several requests to allow for the pro-rata percentage to be applied to other items, and are delighted to announce that this functionality is now available for certain custom items.
When creating a custom item that is an Income, Allowance or Deduction item, there is now an additional option to enable pro-rate for this custom item if the Input Type has been set up as “Fixed Amount” or “Amount per Employee”:
- To read more about setting up custom items with this functionality, refer to our Custom Items help page.
- For more information on how SimplePay calculates the pro-rata percentage, refer to this help page.
We hope this new functionality makes processing payroll for new or terminated employees slightly easier. If you have any questions or suggestions on how we can improve this, please reach out to our Support team.
SimplePay is a payroll system driven by the needs of its users. With that said, we’ve heard your requests for the ability to batch pay beneficiaries using an EFT export file and we’re happy to announce that this feature is here!
When creating a pay run, you can now download the EFT export file next to the beneficiaries report in the same way that you would for the net salaries due to your employees. You can then upload it into your banking portal and pay your beneficiaries in bulk. This saves you the effort of having to set them up as recipients in your banking portal and there is no need to manually type the amounts that need to be paid to each beneficiary, reducing the risk of human error, which could be costly.
For more information on beneficiaries, check out our help page here.
If you need any assistance with this feature or you’d like to give a shout out to the team for their work on this, please reach out to our Support team.
In January 2021, Revenue made a Preliminary End of Year Statement for 2020 available for each employee, to assist in determining the amount of Income Tax and USC due. Where employees have under-contributed Income Tax and USC for 2020 due to participation in TWSS, you (the employer) may decide to pay the liability on their behalf.
You have two options for this:
- you can provide the funds to each employee, who must then pay their liability to Revenue using MyAccount, OR
- you can amend your last payroll submission of 2020 using SimplePay’s TWSS Reconciliation Adjustments page and pay the additional amounts as per the Revised Monthly Statement over to Revenue. The employee’s Preliminary End of Year Statement will be recalculated, showing the amounts that you have paid over.
To use the second option:
- Go to Employees > Bulk Actions > TWSS Reconciliation Adjustments
- At the bottom of the page, select the employees that you wish to make the adjustment for by clicking on the checkbox next to their name. Alternatively, click on All to select all employees
- Download and open the CSV file
- Edit the Income Tax and USC figures and save the CSV file
- Return to the TWSS Reconciliation Adjustments page and click on Choose File
- Locate the file on your computer
- Click the checkbox to confirm that you have read SimplePay’s notice
- Click Upload
- Check that the new data is displayed and click Save
You will then be redirected back to the TWSS Reconciliation Adjustments page, with a flash message that contains a link to the Submissions page.
If you have any questions about this, please reach out to our Support team.
We’re all about helping your business be more efficient, which is why we have a mobile app and self-service portal that allows employees to log their own requests for leave, info updates and claims. But what happens when the approver for that request is on leave? Does the request hang in limbo, bringing your payroll processing to a grinding halt? Now it doesn’t have to. Introducing our new approver override function for Full Admin users.
Full Admin users now have the option to step in and make decisions on pending requests that they are not an approver on. The Full Admin’s approval temporarily overrides the need for it to be approved by the approvers in the approval group – in other words, it bypasses the whole approval structure and the Full Admin user’s decision is taken as final.
For more information on how this works, head to our Approval Override help page.
Need assistance with this new feature? Have an idea for how we can improve this? Get in contact with our helpful Support team who are ready to listen and assist if needed.
We’ve had several requests asking for a way for payroll administrators and leave admins to record leave in bulk and we’re delighted to let you know that this feature is now here! This means that there are now 3 ways for leave to be captured on the system:
- Employees can request leave via self-service or our mobile app which then gets captured once approved by a leave approver.
- Payroll administrators and leave admins can record leave for individual employees via an employee’s profile.
- Payroll administrators and leave admins can download an Excel file, complete it with the relevant leave days and upload the file into SimplePay.
For more information on how to use this new feature, head to our help page.
We’re continuing our mission to revolutionise payroll, and in the process make SimplePay the preferred payroll software provider for small and medium sized businesses. We hope that with the additional method for recording leave, every user now has an option that meets their needs.
If you have any queries on how to use the system or any suggestions on how we can better serve your needs, please reach out to us.
We’ve expanded our beneficiaries functionality so that you can add beneficiaries for custom items that are set up as benefits, deductions or employer contributions. This gives you more flexibility in tailoring the beneficiaries report for your needs, making any payments linked to payroll even easier.
To add a custom beneficiary:
- Go to Settings > Beneficiaries and select Add under Custom Beneficiary
- Enter the details for your beneficiary and click Save
Once you have added your custom beneficiary, you can link it to custom items as follows:
- Go to Settings > Custom Items and select the custom item (or click Add to create one)
- Tick the checkbox Link to beneficiary
- Select the Beneficiary Type:
- ‘Fixed’ should be selected if there is only one beneficiary for this custom item for all employees. You will then need to select the beneficiary from the dropdown list.
- ‘Different on every employee’ should be selected if different employees have different beneficiaries for this custom item. If you select this option, the beneficiary will need to be specified when adding the custom item to the employee’s payslip.
- Then click Save
For more information on setting up custom items, head to our help page here.
We hope you love this new feature and that it’ll make your payroll processing more efficient.
We understand the importance of capturing payroll correctly. Many clients spend countless hours downloading and reviewing the PDF draft payslips for employees before finalising them. We thought that there has to be a better way to review payslip information in bulk! Introducing our new and improved bulk finalisation page.
This newly improved page allows you to use various toggles to show or hide additional payslip information so that you can focus on the information and figures that you want to see, whether this is simply the nett pay for each employee or more detailed information like payslip inputs or payslip values. The recent activity for payslips is now more clearly laid out, which is particularly useful to review if your payroll is prepared by multiple users.
For more information on the various aspects of this page, please refer to our help page here.
Just another way that the SimplePay team is working to improve payroll for you!
Not a SimplePay client but want a payroll system that makes you more efficient? Sign up for our free 30-day trial here and see just how simple payroll can be.
Being a SimplePay client means that you’re used to the benefits of a simple and efficient payroll system. But we’re always looking at ways to make your job even easier and faster. We heard your cries for a quicker way to download multiples payslips for an employee and are happy to announce that this is now available.
Our new Payslips Export report allows you to download a ZIP file with all the payslips within a specific date range for selected employees or pay points. For more information on how to generate this, head to our help article here.
This report makes the task of assisting employees with payslip requests much faster. Remember that employees also have the option to download payslips themselves using the self-service portal or app.
For any further questions, do not hesitate to contact our support team.
Not a SimplePay client? Want a payroll software provider that actually listens to their clients? Sign up for a free 30-day trial here to see just how simple payroll can be when using SimplePay.
Unlike many other payroll systems, SimplePay does not charge for or restrict the number of users on the system. This means that you can give system access to all the people that need it, whether this is a department head who approves leave, a payroll administrator who processes payroll or an external accountant who completes filing submissions. While our user settings already have a range of roles and restrictions that you can configure, we’ve had several requests for giving users read-only access to the system.
We are delighted to announce that we’ve upgraded our permissions to enable you to give users read-only access, with extensive flexibility that lets you customise this on a company, pay frequency or pay point level.
When adding a user, you can still select their permission role (e.g. Leave Admin) and restrict them to specific companies, pay frequencies or pay points. However, when restricting users with Admin or Leave Admin roles, you can select the type of access for each company, pay frequency or pay points, namely:
- Full: gives the user full access to the areas of the system as defined by that particular role
- Read-only: gives the user read-only access to the areas of the system as defined by that particular role
- None: gives the user no access
For more information on setting up users with read-only access, refer to our help article here.
We hope that you love the new feature! Please reach out to us if you have any trouble setting up users or if you have any further questions.
Happy new year! We hope that 2021 brings you new opportunities, improved performance and overall success in all your endeavours. As always, we’ll support you with an efficient and effective payroll system. We’re kicking off the new year with a brand new feature – you can now assign leave policies to employees in bulk.
SimplePay’s leave functionality allows you to set a company default leave policy for all employees that are added to the system. You can then assign a different leave policy to employees if they are not on the default policy. Being able to assign leave policies now in bulk saves you time if you have many employees who are not on the company default policy. It is also useful for companies who do not have a single company default policy, but rather separate policies per pay point or pay frequency.
Once you have created your leave policies, you can assign them in bulk as follows:
- Go to Employees > Bulk Actions
- Click on Entitlement Policies under the Leave heading
- Use the filters to select only those employees that are part of a specific pay point or pay frequency
- Use the drop-down menus to allocate the leave policies for each leave type for each employee on the page. If all employees on the page are on the same policy, use the Copy first value down option to save you time.
- Click Save
It’s as simple as that. For more information on leave management and bulk leave actions, refer to the following pages: